We have all had this problem: spotted a perfect pair of shoes, but it only available one size up. Nonetheless, you buy it anyway, because you only live once. Right?
However, you soon regret buying bigger size shoes because you cannot enjoy your loose-fitting shoes without looking silly or feeling uncomfortable. Your toes slide forward often, and your heels keep sliding out of the shoe. Sigh! How then do you make big shoes fit & what to do if my shoes are too big?
The good news is, with a little creativity, you can make your shoes fit. “How?” you ask. Fret not. You are in the right place. We will blow your mind with eight creative yet easy hacks on how to make big shoes fit.
Wear on Extra Pair of Socks if boots too big
This is the simplest and easiest method to make your big shoes fit. All you need to do is to wear an extra pair of socks. Alternatively, you can wear a single pair, but it should be thicker than ordinary socks. The idea is to fill the space in the shoe using shoe filler.
See! The solution to your oversize shoe dilemma is right under your nose. However, this method is only applicable to closed shoes.
In addition, wearing thick or two pairs of socks during warm weather is not advisable. Your feet will sweat, and you might end up with stinky shoes.
Insoles Are Your New Friend
Inserting insoles in shoes is the most common method used to make big shoes fit. “What are best insoles for shoes that are too big?” you ask. Insoles are soft pads that you insert inside your shoes for cushioning or provide support.
Although their intended purpose is to make a shoe comfortable, they are an excellent solution for shoes that are tad too big across the length. Insoles help fill the space evenly.
Be careful when purchasing insoles. Ensure that they are the right size for your shoes. Larger insoles can make your shoes more uncomfortable
Invest In Cushions
Sometimes, a full-length insole makes the shoe too tight and uncomfortable. Then what do you use? You can opt for cushions.
Cushions are placed directly under the ball of your feet. The cushions lift your foot a little higher to give you a snug. In addition, they add an extra grip that prevents your foot from sleeping back and forth. This method is best for heels and flats.
How to fix shoes that are too big using Elastic Bands
This method is a handy yet effective way to make your big shoes fit. It is quite easy, especially if you have experience in sewing. All you need is a needle, a thread and a strong set of elastic bands.
How to Make Shoes Smaller Using Elastic Bands
- Stretch the elastic band and place inside the shoe, preferably along the heel.
- Stitch in the band, ensuring that the elastic is tight as you go.
- Let go of the band. When you release the band, it will pull together the shoe’s material, giving it a tight fit.
Stuff the Empty Space
Do your shoes keep sliding back and front when you wear them? Stuff the empty space at the tip of the shoe with tissue paper, toilet paper of cotton pads. The pieces of stuff fit in there easily and help your foot stop sliding.
In addition, it is a genius idea to make your big shoes fit, especially when you are in a hurry. However, this method is not suitable for long-distance shoes, like running shoes. It is better for a special occasion where there is minimal movement.
Using Water to Shrink Your Leather Boots
So, you have the amazing pair of boots that are a little oversize, and you are wondering what to do when shoes are too big? Well, here is a hack. All you need is a bucket of water and a pair of socks.
How to Shrink Leather Boots
- Fill your bucket with water.
- Soak the boots in the water for an hour. Make sure they are completely submerged. If some shoe parts are not soaked, the boots might shrink unevenly.
- Put on a pair of socks and deep your feet in the water.
- Take out your boots from the water and put them on immediately. This is important because they will start shrinking leather immediately.
- Keep your shoes on until your socks dry (this will take a while).
This method might tedious and downright uncomfortable, but it is effective. As you go on with your daily activities, the boots will naturally shrink and will be a fit by the time the socks dry. However, this is not a good idea if you have many outdoor activities.
How Should Boots Fit?
Here is how to tell if your boot fits:
- Your foot should feel snug except the heel. You heel should have a little space to move up and down.
- The toes should have some space to wiggle.
- The widest part of your foot, or the ball, should sit on the widest part of the boot.
Water and Dryer Method
If you are not in a hurry and are determined to fit oversized shoes, we recommend this method. It is an easy method in terms of the ingredients needed. However, it can damage your shoes if you do not carefully follow the instructions.
First, we advise that you know the type of material of shoes. For Suede and leather shoes, you will need a spray water bottle. For running shoes and canvas, you can submerge them in water.
- Get the top and the sides of the shoes all wet.
- Set the blow dryer on medium heat and dry the shoe all around. Avoid blowing the same spot. Also, place the dryer at least 6 inches away from the shoe.
- When the shoes are dry, try them on to see if they fit. If they are a bit lose, repeat the process.
- Optionally, use a conditioning kit, especially for leather shoes, to maintain the shine.
Engage a Cobbler
If none of the above hacks work for you, you are determined to make your big shoes fit; there is still another way. Asking a professional cobbler to fix them for you.
Locate a cobbler that is nearest to you. You can use Search engines such as Google or social media for instance Facebook. Although a cobbler means extra expense, you are assured of value for your money.
As human beings, we depend on healthy feet and a pair most of comfortable dress shoes for men to help us move around and lead our lives. A couple of well-fitting pair of shoes is thus crucial in keeping our feet healthy, functional and happy. Nonetheless, life is not perfect and sometimes neither are shoes. It is essential to know a few hacks on how to make big shoes fit, just in case.